KCRC Laboratory Department:|
KCRC Laboratory provides all the testing requirements needed for ART monitoring and study/clinical trial specific protocols. Our affiliations with the Central Public Health Laboratory, CDC (Centers for Disease Control-Entebbe), CRS (Catholic Relief Services), CLS (Contract Lab Services) and University of Washington provides a strong support base for building capacity in provision of standard laboratory services in rural setting.
Mr. Eugene Rukundo, KCRC Laboratory Manager
All laboratory investigations are conducted in accordance to GCLP (Good clinical Lab practice).
The lab has a team of 8 staff headed by the Laboratory Manager; it includes 5 Laboratory Technologists (Bachelor’s degree), 1 Medical Laboratory Technologist (Higher Diploma) and 2 Laboratory Assistants (Certificate in Lab Techniques).
KCRC lab has a robust quality assurance system that includes both internal quality and external quality systems.
Internal Quality Assurance
All lab staff have undergone GCLP training and are certified under accredited organizations (CLS & DAIDS-CRS Training teams). Internal audit systems are in place to ensure staff competence and compliance of testing processes and equipment/kits (includes, Training, monitoring and Internal Quality Control-Intra assay). Reference materials e.g. Standard Operating Protocols and Manuals are readily available for use.
External Quality Assurance
Our lab is enrolled and registered satisfactory performance in the following External Quality assurance schemes:
- UKneqas (United Kingdom National External Quality Assurance Scheme): Immune monitoring
- RCPA (Royal College of Pathology of Australia): General chemistry, Full blood count & Chemical Pathology and Microbiology
- National Health Lab Services Proficiency Testing Program: Immune monitoring & HIV serology
Lab Data Management System/LIS (Lab information System)
KCRC Lab has centralized electronic Lab information systems for tracking and storage of Laboratory data including;
We also have electronic dispatch system for results via “data fax” that enhances real time dissemination of results to our partners abroad.
- Specimen archive/Repository & shipping (Freezer-works computer software/program for tracking specimens using serial IDs from label printer and 2D barcode label scanner)
- Specimen & tracking results Database for tracking specimen at the point of reception and distribution/dispatch to various testing benches. The same database is used to track TAT (Turnaround Time) for results after analyses.
- Lab supply Inventory database for tracking movement of lab supplies, consumption and forecasting.
An overview of services provided by KCRC Lab is shown below
Our lab has fully automated, semi-automated and manual testing capabilities with more than one analyser for majority of test processes as part of our backup plan in case of analyzer malfunction or increased workload. The testing systems (method and equipment) have passed validation tests conducted by CLS and thus comply with international standards.
All equipment are serviced and maintained by contracted manufactures’ service agents. We have a stable supply of power with High capacity UPS’, Inverter systems and a standby generator.
- Haematology (Beckman Coulter AcT 5 Diff CP, Sysmex KX-N21): Full Blood Counts (5 part differential & 3 part differential), Cell Morphology
- General Chemistry (Cobas Integra 400, Visual Biomeriux, Roche Reflotron):General Safety, Lipid panels, Endocrinology, Tumor markers, Cardiac markers, Diabetes markers, Pregnancy
- Serology (Biomeriux Automated Washer & Reader): Serological markers (ELISA), Autoimmune markers (ELISA), STI testing, Hepatitis Profile.
- Flow Cytometry (BD FACSCalibur – 4 Colour/2 lasers): Lymphocyte Subset Analysis - T and B Cell analysis, Single Platform method, Dual Platform Method using Multitest and Tritest panels.
- Urinalysis: Dipstick analysis, Urine Microscopy
- Infectious Diseases: Microbiology, Parasitology, Bacteriology
Ambient storage, cold chain/storage and cryopreservation of specimens are available at the following temperatures: 2°C - 8°C, -20°C, and -80°C (Ultra Low Temperatures). The repository temperature is monitored using remote temperature sensors (Fridge/Freezer guard) alert system and thermo-hygrometers connected to all fridges and freezers. The remote temperature alert system helps in monitoring temperature after working hours with an auto dialed call to designated contacts.
Shipping of biological specimens (Hazmat)
KCRC has an experienced team of IATA (International Air Transport Association) certified shippers that are involved in shipping specimens to identified labs in and outside the country.
Safety and Biohazard Containment
The lab operates under universal safety precautions as declared in the OSHA guidelines to ensure safety for staff, patients and the surrounding community.
A safety manual Material Safety & Disposal documents (MSDs) are available for reference and training of staff.
KCRC has got an incinerator that facilitates proper disposal, treatment and degradation of lab waste.